From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:42:25 -0400
Becky or Al S Boehm wrote:

>  Has anyone had any experience with sunscreen and the bees reaction to it?
>
> Does it premote agressive behavior like perfume (most sunscreens have a
> scent in them)?

I have a very light complexion, and have always burned easily.  I have had
several skin cancers burned off by dermatologists in the last few years, and
now have to wear sunscreen whenever I go out.  There are quite a few kinds,
and some have little or no perfume.  The kind I use now is non-advertised,
and known as "NO-AD Ultra Sun Block Lotion"  It is available in SPF 30 and
45, and is waterproof, sweatproof and PABA-free.  It guards against both
UV-A and UV-B rays (UV-B is the worst).

I always wear a hat, but on these hot days, I cannot stand to wear long
sleeves.  I put on the lotion whenever I'm out in the sun for a half hour or
more.  It is a dreary hassle to put on the stuff, but it certainly is a
necessity for me or the alternative is liquid nitrogen burn sores all over
my arms and face.

The bees have never seemed to notice that there is anything different about
me, and are not at all aggressive.  I always work them in short sleeves, and
get about the usual number of stings, which on good days is none at all.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA