From:
Deanna Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:05:05 +1200

We know what happens when susceptible larva ingest AFB spores.

But what about adult bees?  Are the spores digested and destroyed?  Do they pass through the gut unharmed?

I know it's common here for hives that have been in an the area of an AFB outbreak to be encouraged to eat through their stores to remove any spores from the hive that may have been picked up, but I can't recall seeing whether this just removes them in the sense that the still-viable spores are excreted outside the hive, or whether the spores are actually destroyed by digestion in the adult gut.

regards
Deanna Corbett
Hawke's Bay, New Zealand