From:
Richard Spiekhout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:25:18 EDT
Dave,  I'm sorry that I didn't give more info.  The spraying was done soon
after dark and all bees were in the hive.  The mist from the fogger fell on
at least 6 hives as the truck turned around within 20 feet of the furthest
hive.
There is no significant bloom that I know of here in Ky. ( I have a small
melon and squash patch) but there is a lot of pollen coming into the hives.
I have been watching the hives closely observing them each twice a day.  I
have seen no ill effects after a week.  No dead or dying bees,  no noticable
decline in numbers of flying bees.  I would open the hives but I'm not sure
that I would learn from this because I had not opened them just prior to the
spraying and would not have a comparison in mind.
The county officials said that they would compensate me for any losses and
would not spray in this area again.  They only spray after dark for flying
mosquitos.
None of the information that I was given had any cautionary statements for
the sprays concerning anything except the safety equipment of humans doing
the spraying.

I feel as though I have dodged a bullet.

Richard
So.Cent. Ky.