From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 1996 07:04:35 +0100
<<<A rather unpleasant thought I've been contemplating....What does one do
when wax worms are extracted with the honey? Just filter them out or
bottle each worm in jar of honey like the mezcal I used to buy in Mexico?>>>>

I trust the above was written in a spirit of fun.  If in any way serious I
would advise Ann to invest in queen excluders and keep supers for honey and
brood combs for brood.  The fact remains that many beekeepers do extract
from combs that have been bred in.  Such combs do attract wax moth and if
moths have been or are present then the honey extracted will contain moth
and bee larva excrement.  No doubt quite harmless from a health point of
view but the honey can hardly be described as pure.
I have never understood the often quoted description of excluders as honey
excluders.  My bees, and those of all my acquaintances, appear to have no
difficulty in passing through them with their surplus nectar.  Combs that
have been used for brood are very difficult to store as they so easily
attract wax moth.  Super combs used only for honey present no problem and
need no PDB.  Eggs laid in them cannot reach maturity because of lack of
protein.                                                     Sid P.

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Brother Adam.  A humble monk who spent
his life in a monastery in rural England but who won world-wide acclaim and
respect for his work on bee breeding.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England