From:
Joe Hemmens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 11:43:10 +0000
Dear All

I'm not trying to be pedantic but as far as I understand it
sterliisation is the killing of ALL living material,  whereas
disinfection is killing,  removing or inactivating such organisms.

So strerilisation of hive parts may well need require autoclaving.

In an article in 1992 Prof Len Heath commented that AFB is relatively
resistant to heat as it has large spores,  nonetheless he suggests
that there is some evidence that combs from infected colonies may be
disinfected by being melted down and made into foundation. He was not
advocating this and it would probably involve an element of risk.

Many years ago EB Wedmore gave the following:

Destruction of disease germs,

AFB 12 minutes in water at 100C
EFB 10 minutes in water at 65C

He wrote this in 1932.

Since the temperature required to melt wax for foundation is only 65C
this is quite a wide divergence.  Since hive parts have for many
years been disinfected by scorching,  is it not likely that a
thorough steaming would prove effective at controlling AFB and EFB.

Prof Heath also suggests that immersion for 5 - 10 minutes in Caustic
Soda would leave hive parts infection free.

Best wishes