From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:27:41 -0500
Dave Cushman wrote:

>We are not talking about laying workers in the sense that they can occur
>in queenless colonies.

Hi Dave
I don't really see that these are different. Workers laying eggs are the
same in queenless as queenright colonies. It is just that the evidence of
their efforts is quite obvious in hopelessly queenless colonies.

But I have not heard anyone credibly propose that when honey bee workers lay
eggs we are witnessing anything other than a weird anomaly; what I would
refer to as an evolutionary artifact, like nipples on a man.

Peter Borst