From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:54:13 -0500
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:14:53 -0600, John & Christy Horton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have always assumed that, say,  a 10 day old queen cell in a hive with
>queen cells that are younger would hatch out first and most likely tear down
>the other cells. I have never observed it to be otherwise.

Not true. Bees frequently keep queens trapped in queen cells for several
days after others have hatched, for the queen's protection one would assume,
although they may have "preferences" as we now know.

Regarding Brother Adam's comments, I have a great deal of respect and
admiration for him and what he did, but nobody is always right. As one very
experienced beekeeper once told me:

"There is a wide range of practices that you can get away with, but it is
best not to abuse your prerogatives".

Still, it is logical and reasonable to attribute poor queen performance to
sloppy queen rearing practices.

pb