From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 16:52:06 +0000
Randy said:  "I set up a hexagonal open-top, 8-ft high screened cage (black screening) with a single deep hive on a stand inside. Once a day one of us would step inside and give a demo of hive manipulation, wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Up to a hundred people would crowd around as we showed what was happening on each frame."

The NYS Fair (ongoing now) has done this for years.  It's a great way to teach those who aren't otherwise interested in keeping bees....they can see a beekeeper working bees "close up".  Kids love it.

James said:  "....what my wife succinctly describes as "old white guys in John Deer tractor caps endlessly bickering over which is the best
smoker fuel".

Some years ago, I made the mistake of bribing my daughter to accompany me to a local bee club meeting.  I was hopeful that she'd become interested. Unfortunately, our local club back then consisted of a bunch of ancient geezers with lengthy views on boring subjects.  After we left, she thought that meeting was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Now, years later, I am happy to say we have many more women members (one is President of the club), and we offer relevant, interesting topics with good speakers at our monthly meetings.  Our club bee yard (currently under the direction of Pete Borst) is a fabulous teaching tool, and has attracted many who hopefully learn better beekeeping that way.
 We have both new and experienced hobby beekeepers who are willing to learn, willing to volunteer, and are exactly the folks we'd all like to see advocate beekeeping and bees.

Too bad my daughters were born too soon to experience this healthy new reality.  Fortunately, they both love honey.  I still harbor a small hope.

Maybe I'll still get one of them interested.

I applaud both posts quoted above.

Christina