From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 06:58:19 GMT
<<<<    My question is this:  Would it be safe to use the remaining moldy brood
foundation for my second hive of package bees arriving this Spring?  Any
thoughts would be appreciated.>>>>>
Why take the risk for the sake of a few sheets of new foundation.  Unless
you are certain that Varroa killed them the cause might well be contagious.
Those old combs could carry brood disease bacteria, chalk brood and nosema
spores and what have you, hardly a good way to start a new colony.
Scrap them.  The wax can be recovered and sterilised in a solar extractor
and turned into candles or whatever.  Clean the frames and give them a
fortnight's fumigation with acetic acid and make a fresh start. The honey
has probably fermented by now so will not be fit for feeding.  Your new
package bees will be better employed drawing out new comb rather than
cleaning up old stuff that has been in store for nearly a year.  After all
this time you might find that the wax moth has been at work so you won't
have to decide.
Incidentally, have you seen the article by Steve Taber in the January ABJ,
where he points out the dangers to health from mould spores from old combs
and dead bees.  I think it is worth condidering.
Sid P.
Sid Pullinger                    Email :  [log in to unmask]
36, Grange Rd                Compuserve:  [log in to unmask]
Alresford
Hants SO24 9HF
England