From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2016 07:07:54 -0500
hi all,
I my reading of the historical material I often come upon writing which sounds as if it could have been written today. See if you can guess when this was written

THE RISE OF BEEKEEPING

(excerpts)

Man has studied bees a long time. During that time he has learned much, but he has also contributed to his own difficulties. … the diseases of bees were not disseminated to a great degree because colonies of bees seldom changed owners. But with the coming of rapid means of transportation, man has spread bee diseases over much of the earth.

This in time bids fair to eliminate all but those who are willing not only to acquire a knowledge of bee behavior and bee diseases, but also to put this information into practice. This, no doubt, will have an important bearing on the future, not only of beekeeping, but also the usefulness of the honey bee in the role of pollination. The importance of the honey bee in this respect is well known to all of us.

The wide spread presence of bee diseases, it would seem, will more and more limit the keeping of bees to a smaller number of people. Bees are necessary for the pollination of many kinds of fruits and vegetables. One of the important problems of the future will be to provide a sufficient quantity of bees for pollination at the proper time. Southern beekeepers are able to produce the bees at a minimum cost.

One of the most important problems confronting the beekeeping industry is a proper system of marketing. This is a problem which has been discussed a great deal and yet we have not made much progress in its  solution. There are so many factors involved that it challenges our best efforts.

This section began as a section on apiary inspection. The various states have not as yet agreed on any uniform regulations on bee inspection and the treatment of American Foul Brood. Uniform regulations on shipping package bees and queens would also be a desirable improvement.

These are but a few of the many questions either awaiting solution or questions on which more information is needed. Beekeepingwas one of primitive man's earliest interests. It should be much more interesting today. Its problems are stilI many and sufficiently varied to challenge the best there is in any of us.

By S. W. BILSING, A & M College, College Station, Texas
JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC ENTOMOLOGY Vol. 25