From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:19:19 -0600
Hello Trevor & All,

I said:
> The first shipment since the border closing from Australia (Tim is
aware of and involves a
> Missouri beekeeper) will be a meeting of agencies & beekeepers
involved.

Trevor said:
Our authorities here in Australia know nothing about this meeting.  Can you
give us more details please.

Bell Hill Honey & Terry Brown.

Tim said:
I was referring to shipments between the States in the US, not to
another country.

State rules differ but an inspection once a year of queen breeders is the
norm which produces a certified disease free slip.

On the other hand migratory U.S. beekeepers jump through many hoops (not the
outlaws which are the exception but a few outlaws are around).

 In 2002 my bees were inspected  four times and on arrival back in Missouri
each hive was inspected. I have no way of knowing how many hives were
inspected at the other times.

> The import and export of bees into the U.S. is a done deal.

The final ruling came out in October but I found out today that APHIS has
still not approved the final draft of the health certificate that has to be
used.  So no exports from Australia until the authorities here know what has
to be on the certification.  I thought that this should have been available
when the final ruling was made.  I wonder why it has still not been
finalised?

Is true the final draft was not ready a week ago but believe we are through
the holdup now thanks to Wayne Wehlings (APHIS)  help.

Government *red tape*! The problem is being worked on as we speak in the
U.S. and you should get the form shortly. A large sum of money will lost by
Australian package producers if our governments fail us as timing is
important. All systems are go (phone conversation yesterday) with the two
queen and package producers we are working with in Australia and with the
three commercial beekeepers involved in the U.S.
The head of the APHIS project is working on the U.S. end and said to the
three commercial beekeepers in Reno he believes he can make the project
happen on schedule. I am pretty sure my partner said you gave us Terry
Browns phone number but could be wrong at the start of the project.

Help us if you can Trevor! Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison