From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 07:26:58 -0400
In a message dated 97-05-03 03:18:07 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Sally Fries)
writes:

<< Why dont you just leave them alone, they wont bother you. A bumble Bee
nest
 is only a couple of dozen individules and is very important to pollination
 of some plants. There are books at your local library with instructions on
 how to raise Bumble Bees. They are non agressive, supossedly less agressive
 than Honey Bees I have seen my baby Daughter out Playing with them carrying
 them around in her hands. Relax and enjoy them they are beautifull.
 Jerry Fries >>

   The first bee experience I remember as a child, was catching a bumblebee
in the clover with my bare hands.  They certainly do sting!

    Your daughter probably is playing with carpenter bees, which are easier
to catch anyway.  These are valuable bees as well.

     But I would discourage my kids from playing with any bee.  Teach them to
observe them and not to panic, but to respect them, and let them do their
job.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html