From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:24:51 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:

> * I just want to know: who is handing out these numbers and what are they
> based on? I'd like to see the sources.

Same thing has been bothering me. The team should know the number of
colonies that collapsed from the data they have collected. From that
they have the number that were probably mites or other causes; the
number that show CCD symptoms; and the number that do not fit anything,
if there are such colonies.

I realize that the numbers will be very rough, since all have not been
directly observed by the team.

I have a feeling that there has been some extrapolation of the numbers.
"We have x number of reports and y% are CCD so that is the % of all
colonies in the US that suffer from CCD".  If that happened then the
problem that several of us have, that the problem does not seem as
widespread as the press reports, is answered. It may bee that the
majority of those who had/have CCD have reported and that is close to
the actual extent of the problem.

Or not. But without any hard data and only press and individual
beekeeper's speculation, any number has merit.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine