From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:57:17 -0500
>In areas with Africanized honey bees,
the feral population is primarily Africanized.

In My area, SW PA,  calls for bee removals
have been abundant.  The PA DOA reports
no Africanized bees detected in the feral
population, so one might conclude the
feral population here is primarily 'Europeanized.'

When time and expense is factored in,
I profit far more from bee removals than
honey production, so energies have
been focused primarily on removals
and a far lesser extent on maintaining
production colonies.

>More than 8000 colonies
were removed from water meter boxes during the 12-year study period.

They don't do the water meter box thing
in my area, meters are located indoors to
protect from freezing.  Bees removed from
water meter boxes might be more suggestive
of a climate conducive to the survival of
AHB than it would of the feral population as
a whole.

J Waggle