From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:55:02 -0800
At 04:01 PM 3/16/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Are you saying that we shouldn't feed old honey?? I know a commercial
>bee keeper that buys maple syrup by the drums for this. I have a couple
>of jars of old dark honey saved back to feed. Would I be better of to
>discard this and feed sugar slurrey??

This is hard for me to believe not only is "Maple Syrup" much more valuable
then honey the solids in it are all not that good for the bees digestive
system and sure could cause problems.

One jar of really dark honey that has darkened from caramelizing could kill
a lot of bees before they got rid of it. As for feeding anything other then
pure sugar it just is not a good practice. One year when the price of sugar
went sky high I purchased several car loads of honey to feed bees. I was
very surprised when they did no better on the honey then on sugar syrup. In
fact I was downright disappointed because I had always thought there much
be some magic in honey that would make it better bee feed then the honey
substitutes, what a bummer....

ttul, the OLd Drone
Los Banos, Ca

http://209.76.50.54