From:
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:57:15 -0600
Dr. Thomas D. Bell here in Missoula, MT published one of the first papers
on bee sting allergies among members of beekeeper families.

In MT, where we have large commercial operations, there is a
disproportionately high number of spouses and childrent who are
hypersensitive.  Best guess is that is has something to do with long term
contact with venoms, pollen, bee body parts in clothing, etc.

This appears to be somewhat the same as people with allergies to dust mites
or to a friend of mine who had to give up automotive repair after long term
contact with grease and oil.

One recommendation, don't bring dirty suits, etc. into the house to wash
with the family clothes.

As per the desensitizing shots.  The pure venom shots are more effective
than the "bee parts".  Many allergists don't prescribe because of cost.

Over the past 25 years, occassionally one of my students starts to become
sensitive to stings. Most get less sensitive.  Of those who begin to
reacte, most have left to do other things.  One loved bees so much she went
through the shots.  Bell says she reacted about as bad as he had ever seen.
 Today, she works with bees on a split appointment with the Smithsonian and
Univ. of MD.

I just got back from shaking bees at Hot Springs.  Among the beekeeper's
children are some who react very badly.  One was helped by the shots, the
other wasn't.

Finally, one of my colleagues studies birds in remote parts of Mexico.  He
got the shots after finding out that he was very allergic.  It gives him a
lot of protection when working far from medical attention.