From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 15:04:08 -0800
 Hello,
 I have something to add about 1996 beekeepers. People use to have a hive
or two in there backyard and they would get a little honey from them.When
Varroa came along a very large number lost there bees. We even had
beekeepers with over 1,000 hives go down to almost 0.Beekeeping is
changing as the world is changing. I have a friend that I have known for
over 25 yearsand he had a about 80% loss when he sent some bees down to
California. We set at his kitchen table and he had tears in his eyes and
said I'm not a beekeeper. He has had bees 30 + years as myself. Last week
he sighned a contract that is 1/4 of a million for honey.All beekeepers
must read and stay on to of there bees. I was nailed this last fall. I
leave the bees up in the mountains to get a late fireweed flow. I have
been doing this for 25 years, not anymore.I treated too late on some that
I stressed moving them down.
 I have seen changes in bee behavior and I want to know why. Beekeepers
have to bee proactive. Not the normal layed back smell the flowers.I told
a researcher a week ago about the problem with getting money for bee
research.Beekeeper don't run around in red sports coats with red sports
cars to go with them.If you want it you need a plan and plenty of energy.
I think beekeepers in the near future will be leaning over somebodys desk
saying, read my lipps.We need help with more education, to work on every
positive thing we can. No negative.Only positive. I'm doing a sicience
fair in our county on march 9th. It is on a 1 to 6th grade level.Every
chance I get I talk to kids about the bees and how important they are to
mankind.You will really have to want to be a beekeeper and the Beehavers
will be gone.
 Best to everyone
Roy