From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:11:37 -0400
SEE:
THE NEST OF THE HONEY BEE (APIS MELLIFERA L.)
By T. D. SEELEY and R. A. MORSE
Museum of Comparative Zoology,
Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, U.S.A.,
and Department of Entomology,
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

SUMMARY
The natural honey bee nest was studied in detail to better understand the honey
bee's natural living conditions. To describe the nest site we made external observations
on 39 nests in hollow trees. We collected and dissected 21 of these tree nests to
describe the nest architecture.

We collected nests in the vicinity of Ithaca, N. Y. Numerous feral
honey bee colonies inhabit the unmanaged, mature forests of this agricultural region.