From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:27:32 -0400
>   So for some years now I have been
>selecting for fast spring development and general vigor rather than
>uniformity and quietness. This has resulted in 30% more honey, but also
>the need for checking them through spring and feeding those needing it.
>I also need more supers on the hives to give them space. Extra work and
>material, but I find it worth it. My average is 200 pounds for the last
>3 years. P-O Gustafsson

Well, that's exactly what  have been doing....with the same results. I
won't even consider a colony as a breeder if they don't have at least 9
frames of brood at Dandelion bloom. Our early flows are too important to
lose to colonies just building up. In fact, my bees were capping white
honey before Dandelion, and many had a medium when the Dandelion did bloom.
I also find that many of these colonies continue this level of brood
production until late summer, giving them large populations to take
advantage of the Fall flow for winter stores. Never any worry about these
colonies getting stuck on one side of the hive in winter, and their
remaining stores on the other.
Mike