From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:33:17 -0500
From:                   Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>

> Quick, think of all the situations where bees might need syrup but have
> plenty of pollen...
>
> Stumped?  You should be.  I can't honestly think of any situation where
> bees need syrup but would have plenty of pollen.

   Ummmm...winter in much of the southeast?

   Despite one of the coldest winters on record here in SC, we had
continuous bloom of charnack (wild radish, often called wild
mustard), which is a poor nectar producer that makes large quantities
of high quality pollen. This plant will bloom twelve months of the
year, but becomes significant to the bees from December to April.
Henbit, another good pollen producer has been blooming, with
increasing amounts, since about the first of January.

   Bees always brood up well, when these two plants are available. In
early spring we also have copius quantities of willow, alder, and
maple to add. It's almost a glut of pollen, and all natural, all high
quality. I think pollen supplements here, at this time, are
redundant.

   If the pollen sources were of poor quality (as with citrus,
sourwood or cotton), pollen supplement might be needed  to keep them
raising brood. Generally though, beekeepers move them to a good
pollen source after a pollen-poor flow, or there is a natural
succession of better pollen plants.

   Pollen supplements might also be good if bees are unable to forage
for extended periods, but bad weather periods of more than a few days
are rare here.

   The point is that I quickly thought of a pollen rich/nectar poor
situation that is very ordinary for us.  Conditions vary according to
region and local flora, so beekeepers are wise to keep in touch with
local beekeepers to learn what others are learning, and see what
works in their own area. I found that, in moving a long distance, I
had to learn beekeeping all over again.

Dave    SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com
(may soon be down briefly for some maintanance)