From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2010 07:42:35 -0700
> >The results show that the interplay between Nosema and imidacloprid at
> concentrations encountered naturally by bees, induces a mortality rate of
> energy and stress were significantly higher than each agent alone.

I have reviewed this study carefully.  I intially found it to be of
interest, and posted such to this List, since I suspected that there may be
an interaction between neonics and nosema.  However, upon deeper analysis,
I've found that the study had serious deficiencies, especially in the
statistics and conclusions.

There was indeed an apparent increase in mortality due to both nosema and
IMD, but it did not appear to be synergistic (meaning that the combination
would have been worse than the sum of the effects of either factor alone).

The study found that IMD, even when fed at 70 micrograms/kg (ppb) had
virtually no effect upon caged bee mortality.

Infection by nosema (mixed species) did significantly increase mortality.

When I look at their Fig 1, I cannot come to the conclusion that exposure to
IMD increased energy consumption, whether the bees were infected with nosema
or not.  However, nosema infection alone clearly increased energy
consumption, in accordance with previous research by Chris Mayak.

So, although this paper was a good initial trial, we would need more data to
draw conclusions about any interaction between neonics and nosema.

Randy Oliver