From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:04:27 EST

<< I just recently read a book in which the author used a product in the hive
 called sodium sulfathiazole. He used it in the fall and spring along with
 other antibiotics. I have never heard anyone on this list talk about this
 product.
 What is it and what is the purpose? >>

    It was used prior to terramycin for american foulbrood prevention and
control, but is much more lasting, and is now illegal to use. If I recall
correctly, it was legally used in Canada a little longer, and some loads of
imported honey were rejected because of sulfa contamination in the honey.

    Don't use it.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm