Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 15:29:05 -0500
I met up with my apprentice, Sarah, of Bee Happy Plants at a meeting of
DARG, the Devon Apicultural Research Group today and we were able to
compare graphs of temperatures taken inside and outside hives: the
National hive on my allotment and my TBH at Sarah's, 20 miles west of
me and 50 feet lower.  Interestingly they both had a sudden large
temperature rise, indicating brood rearing starting, on the same day:
2nd January.

Unexpectedly, Sarah's graph showed the outside temperature was an
almost exact mirror image of the inside temperature: one rising while
the other fell and vice versa.  My guess is that, in the TBH, we
managed, by luck rather than judgement, to place the sensor right in
the middle of the cluster and when it gets cold the bees cuddle up,
warming the sensor as well as each other.

Chris