From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:20:34 -0500
Hello All,
Still unable to send email due to a weak wireless signal so comments in
the long form will come later. Also answers to Medhats private questions.

The main points on the DE hypothesis:

90% of harmful emissions go away after idle.At idle harmful emissions the
highest.

chemical particle size is small enough to be a problem for insects.

No research has ever been done on if DE emissions are harmful to insects.

Due to DOT regulations most semi loads from the Midwest are only on the
road for up to ten hours and then sit all night in a truck stop. At least
30 hours for loads from the Midwest and 40+ for Florida/Georgia loads

I know of only a couple beekeepers with their own semi's which use two
drivers. We have never sent a load with other than a single driver. The
trend today is a single driver only driving 8-10 hours a day taking bees
to almonds.

Problems with DOA on arrival or shortly after started after the new
additives were put in use. The first year the industry placed the problem
on varroa control. The next year CCD and this years trucking has just
started so we will have to wait and see.

We started looking at the hypothesis after my last almond article. We
blamed the California graders as we know what those bees looked like
before shipment (due to the warm weather we had gone through the hives
before shipment). As I said in my article five loads from the Dakotas were
basically DOA on arrival . When I spoke with the beekeeper he said the
bees looked great before shipment. This was the year before CCD so little
interest except for my article.

Hopefully members of the national organizations will see fit to provide
research funds for our hypothesis. A board member of the ABF will present
our hypothesis.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
In the deep south with temps going into teens tonight. Snow forecast for
parts of Florida.