From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:32:04 -0600
> Terramycin. One of the suspected causes for this development is the sharp
> increase in use by beekeepers of the medicated vegetable oil extender
> patty.

This is speculation and only speculation, nonetheless the idea has taken on
a life of its own and is like an urban legend.  It is repeated far and wide
as truth, when in fact there is no evidence whatsoever behind the rumour --
only a good story.  We have used extender patties for several years and
tests show the few spores that can be found in our honey are highly
susceptible to OTC.  Fact.  We see no disease at all now.  Fact.

> > I had one hive which had foul brood so bad that it stunk from outside
the
> > hive, and probably a third of the brood was putrid. I treated with these
> > patties

> >that was a mistake

Why do you say that?  If you cleared up the infection, you may never see
more than an occasional cell of AFB again assuming you watch carefully and
are careful to medicate annually in spring (and fall if you see any
symptoms).

If you obtain HYG stock, your chances are even better.

> > I couldn't remember which hive was infected, and all the hives were
strong
> > and healthy.

When it works, it works.

I gather you were seeing active breakdown, not a huge mass of dried scale
when you started medicating?  In presence of an effective antibiotic, bees
can clean up even bad scale when they are strong and conditions are right,
but the recommendations are usually to destroy any large areas of scale.
Small areas can be simply flattened down a bit to break the cell walls, but
it is wise to just pull an destroy all scale.

> Unfortunately the AFB spores are very likely still viable and will
probably
> reappear. Did you burn the equipment?

Not a reasonable thing to do if in an area where AFB is endemic, or an
operation where AFB has been found from time to time in the past.

Burning is a real option, but should be considered only in the context of
the area, the size and type of operation, and the history of disease.

allen
http://www.rossrounds.com/honeybee/Diary/