From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:41:36 +0100
On 19/08/2015 21:33, Peter Edwards wrote:
> We are usually told to harvest cells 10 days after grafting but... cells
> that are grafted at 12 hours will be one and a half days behind those
> grafted when they are two days old, so presumably should not be moved until
> day 11 or even 12.

I usually graft the youngest I can see with a lens clipped to my specs.
This season I have put cages over the queen cells after 10 days from
grafting and then allowed the virgins to emerge inside the finisher
colony.  Some emerge after 12 days, some after 13.  By letting them
emerge before being distributed I am able to select the best of the virgins.

I have found that if I disturb them by putting cages over before ten
days I get poorer results.

Steve Rose

---