From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:17:33 -0700

> >Interesting paper! Winter bees are only of interest to those which winter
> in
> the north. I doubt of little interest to those preparing bees for almonds.

I agree, Bob.  I live at an elevation in Calif where we get a cold, snowy
winter, yet since the advent of climate change, we no longer get the
broodless period that we used to.  However, the colonies eat very little
pollen supp from Nov thru Dec.

> >In my mind there are still more questions than answers concerning winter
> bees but our experiments have yielded a few answers.

Perhaps we should use the scientific term "diutinus" bees (meaning
long-lived).  Bees can go into this state either in winter, or during any
time of dearth or stress.  It appears to be a survival mechanism which
allows for extended lifespan when forage is cut off.

> >Many of us ( myself) believe 2009 will be a honey year like in the late
> nineties.

Oddly enough, Bob, it's similar in the foothills where I live, but not in
the Valley.

Randy Oliver