From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:47:00 -0600
> What on earth are these "BeePro ready-made Patties" ?   Do bees live
> naturally in your area?  If so,do you need to rely on artificial
> patties at this time!. Or do you live in a desert?

I doubt that bees naturally swarm in the Boston area at the time of year
that the first writer installed package bees.  Although there are
natural pollen sources available currently, it is possible that there
may be days on end when bees cannot get out to gather it due to rain,
etc.  Moreover, package bees are, on average, more than half used up
before they even start to build.

When starting on foundation in early spring, the artificial swarm has no
protein source except the undependable outdoor sources and the protein
reserves in the nurse bees' bodies.  Once depleted, these reserves
cannot be replaced.  Therefore, I would say that our new beekeeper
friend was entirely wise and well-informed to give the BeePro patties to
his new hives, along with some syrup.

In our operation, we always augment protein in spring and, if you have
checked my page lately, you will see why.  Freak spring storms can keep
the bees inside for long periods.  Without protein supplementation, our
bees might be tearing out brood right now.  Of course they would
survive, but North American beekeeping is based on more than survival.
Our success depends on making sure the bees have lots of food at all
times.

IMO, our newbee has learned well.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/