From:
JonDeGroot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 01:05:33 EDT
Rod Billet was planning to replace 4 nuc originated frames of old comb by
gradually displacing them toward the outside

>>O - Old Frame
>>N - New Frame
>>
>>N N N O O O O N N N     - Current Setup
>>N N O O N N O O N N     - First 'Shift'
>>N O O N N N N O O N - Second 'Shift'
>>O O N N N N N N O O     - Third 'Shift'

I've done that myself last year and lost brood during a cold snap due to
'chilled brood'.  I was only spreading the nest by one frame at a time.  I
suggest an alternative that will take more shifts and more time but will not
divide the brood nest and should avoid any risk of chilled brood losses.  Try
this:
NNNOOOONNN
NNNNOOOONN
NNNNNOOOON
NNNNNNOOOO
FNNNNNNOOO             F = foundation or 'new-new'
FFNNNNNNOO
FFFNNNNNNO
FFFFNNNNNN

The bees will gradually cease using the old frame as it moves to wall-side
position, and you can remove them.
Luck to you whichever method you use.
John   de Groot