From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:28:28 EST

In a message dated 03/03/2010 20:07:14 GMT Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

this is  one
reason why Chris Slade and I have gone to foundationless   frames..........

The reason for this is the bees control how many  drones are produced.

Not entirely!  I want the bees to be on their own wax to ensure  purity,
and to decide for themselves what cell size they feel appropriate.  Generally
they don't seem to produce massive amounts of drone.  I have  noticed as,
gradually, I change over, that the hives where the bees control cell  size
(and they produce a range of sizes graduated according to the part of the  hive
and the part of the comb) there is a range of size of bees in those hives
and they seem to me to be doing better than those kept conventionally in the
 same apiary.

It's early days yet, and the sample is too small and uncontrolled to
produce scientific proof that this way is better.  I suggest others give it  a
try for themselves and see if it works for them.

Chris