From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2017 08:08:56 -0500
> This is certainly not to say that the penetrating properties of organosilicones don't have adverse effects upon bees.  I'd prefer to see more semi-field or field trials.

Hi Randy
Here is the rub. The classification of an ingredient as "inert" exempts it from trials. It also opens it up to widespread use (and abuse). The EPA list of inerts is staggering. See

ยง180.910   Inert ingredients used pre- and post-harvest; exemptions from the requirement of a tolerance.
http://tinyurl.com/hvomf82

Some of the so-called inerts include

Acetone, Methyl alcohol (methanol), Sodium hydroxide (lye), Sulfuric acid (not to exceed 10%), Xylene.  These are just ones I can pronounce.

Many organic solvents are recognized by NIOSH as carcinogens, reproductive hazards, and neurotoxins. But beyond that, the widespread spraying of solvents in orchards is likely result in the air being infused with them for hours or days. The notion that spraying at night will prevent bees from contacting volatile solvents is incorrect.

PLB