From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:53:53 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

How is  insulation supposed to affect colony health, prevent CCD, and
promote  healthy brood??

I recently opened one of my CDB hives when the temperature was about
freezing point in order to give it a trickle of oxalic.  CDBs have the  option of
being turned into double skinned hives in winter to maximise  protection from the
elements, but I don't usually bother.  The cluster was  in the part of the
hive nearest the part that gets the winter sunshine  unobstructed by trees and
other hives.  On another occasion I opened a  National in slanticular winter
sunshine. The National has thick cedar walls  which should provide good
insulation, but I was struck by the difference in  temperature within the hive between
the sunny side and the shaded side.

I suggest that the best form of insulation for a colony of bees is the bees
themselves as their bodies are composed largely of air sacs, and are hairy.
Their habit of expanding or contracting the cluster to form a communal, living,
 thermostat enables them to cope with most temperatures, but the additional
warmth coming through not overly insulated walls on cold but sunny days
enables  the cluster to expand somewhat to gain access to stores that might
otherwise be  out of reach.

Chris