From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:16:13 -0600
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> don't understand why you feel you need to use queen excluders; because you
> do not!
<snip>
> You don't (or should not) care that nectar is stored in the same cells where
> brood has been raised.

I think it's only fair to point out again (this thought on excluders has
been discussed exhaustively already, see the archives) that it does
matter if brood has been in honey supers from the stand point of keeping
wax moths out of the combs during storage.  You should have no worry
with the moths if the combs have never had brood in them.  I've never
done anything more than stack the supers for winter storage and have
never had moth larva in any of them as no brood has ever been in the comb.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
Illinios,  USA