From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2016 23:25:38 -0000

Use a press in cage for the process.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4406

Hi Juanse

I always use the same cage (it is called a 'Crown of Thorns' or a Baldock cage).  Beware the new, cheap plastic versions as the holes are too small - the Thorne's Version with threads is the one to buy.  I also use it to clip queens at the same time.

I clip first by constraining the queen, then catch one wing with fine tweezers and clip using dressmakers snips (easier than trying to put your fingers into scissors).  Be careful not to cut the threads of the cage!  They can be re-threaded (use dental floss) but you may need a new one to work out how the threads have to be twisted around the pins.

I then mark the queen using a Uni Posca marking pen; a good tip here is to rotate the pen while pressing it gently down on the queens thorax - that way the paint goes onto the chitin rather than just on the hairs and does not rub off.  Then remove the cage immediately, otherwise some queens will struggle, move and smear the paint everywhere!

Job done without handling the queen and transferring odours from previous queens.

We note details in our records, so if the paint should wear off (rare) we know the queen from the fact that she is clipped - any unclipped queen must be a replacement.

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W