From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:05:11 -0700

> > one of the interesting things
> I mentioned is that I had indeed obtained a number of strains of bees with
> reputations for having resistant traits.  They died just the same as all
> the rest.

I have also brought in "resistant" stock from all over.  Most all get eaten
alive by varroa in my home yard.  Pure Russians and some VSH breeders have
done better.  The odd thing is that stock that appears to be mite resistant
in one location can get hammered by varroa elsewhere--I don't understand
why!

However, by breeding only from colonies with low mite levels, my mongrel
stock improves each year (knock on wood).

> >I obtained stock from several sources in hopes of improving my stock and
> suspect
> that something came along with it.

I'd suspect the same.

>  >I am suspecting that all those bragging about how clever they are and how
> they
> need not treat have just not encountered whatever it is that is killing
> bees or
> not experienced the conditions which allow it to avalanche.

Allen, that is a common sentiment of those who have been hit by major colony
collapse--you are now an official member of the Club, with all rights
and privileges!

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
ScientificBeekeeping.com