From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 16:49:33 -0400
>Is there a known correalation between queen size and age that the larvae
are selected to be queens...in other words will selecting a very young larvae
(everything else being equal) result in a larger queen?...

There has been a great deal written about the age of the grafted larvae and
the quality of the resulting queen, thus most people raising queens take this to
mean the younger the better.  Some have tried grafting eggs with limited
success and no benefit.  Personally, I don't know.

As I seem to recall, worker and queen larvae are fed the same diet (as far as
researchers could discern) until some time in the third day, so I have to
wonder...

There may also be a question of quantity of food fed to workers vs. queens,
but I tend to assume that if we see larvae are swimming in food, they have
all they can eat, and should be in the same condition as if they had been
started as queens.  Of course, there is so much we reaqlly do not know.

I am sure some others may have some good references on this.