From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:54:09 -0000
Hi Allen
> Is it [thymol] all the same?  Or are there different  forms/brands?

All I know is that it is food grade - I get from a company called RC Treatt
Ltd who manufacture food flavourings (and probably other things too) - I
believe they are also in the US.

> Details like: the height of the airspace in the eke
2.5"

> reason for the excluder
I feed fondant and if colonies are light in August I can feed and treat at
the same time

>the size and number of the brood boxes being treated
Normally single British Nationals - A.m.m. normally does not require double
brood.  Any colonies on double brood get double the dose, i.e. two lids

> entrance number, location, size and orientation, size of the bottom
> screen, space under the bottom frames, etc.?
One entrance at the bottom, full width (I am considering reducing this to
6" - we are having huge problems with wasps in recent years), 1/4" high.
With bottom bee space that leaves roughly 1/2" under the frames.  Mesh
covers whole floor. Some hives sit on the ground, some on stands - seems to
make no difference to survival rates.  Feed hole in crownboard always open.
Picture of mesh floor here: http://www.sbkaimages.homecall.co.uk/OMF.jpg.

> I notice you also use an excluder under the fondant as well.
Yes, fresh fondant in warm weather will ooze down between frames and can
kill a colony.  Excluders provide just enough support to stop that from
happening:
http://www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/PENotes/Fondant.htm.
Incidentally, I feed much less now that our bees are predominantly A.m.m.,
usually no more than 6-8kg with some needing no feed at all.

Best wishes

Peter