From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 07:38:11 -0500
Ann Dougherty wrote:

> I use deep supers for brood and honey.  Some of them have a 5/8 inch hole
> iln the front to provide access to that box.  On the honey supers it seems
> to be an advantage.  While jon the brood boxes it's a disadvantage.  What
> is the opinion of all you bee-listers out there?
>    Do like an access hole on your supers or not?
>
>                                 Ann Dougherty
>                                 Kirkand, Washington USA

Hi Ann -

It might be an advantage for a time to have entrances in your supers but I would think that you're taking quite a
risk having straight access to the honey stores. It would sure make it easy for robber bees to clean up without
having to deal with the gaurd bees at the bottom entrance. I personally have never known anyone to provide
access in the supers, only in the brood chambers. We'll see what others have to say.

-Barry

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois   USA