From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 10:05:30 -0700
Well, mostly joking.  Somehow, I think it is naive and too much to hope
for that AHB won't be able to survive our MT winters.  Nothing seems to
be that simple.  So far AHB has been confirmed in AZ, TX, and NM.  As
soon as it hits CA, it will arrive via truck the following spring.  At
this time, about 150,000 colonies go in and out of MT each year, mostly
moving between CA and MT with stops along the way.  Ditto for ND, MN, etc.

Given our restrictive site registration laws and criminal penalities, it
is hard for a newcomer to get access to MT without the cooperation of a
beekeeper with registered sites in the state.

CA beekeepers are understandably a bit put off by this -- MT beekeepers
move into CA, but it is not as easy to go the other way.

In addition, some of our beekeepers do not migrate.

Now as to the hotly debated issue about whether or not AHB can survive
our winters.  We will know in the not so distant future, because they
will show up here in the semi-truck loads.  The only question is when -
next year, the year after, etc.?

Beekeepers have a tough time making ends meet.  So, wouldn't it be nice
if AHB really can't survive cold winters.  Those of us in the northern
states could just invite the warm climate folks to drop their colonies in
some remote corner for a while during the fall/winter.  If AHB
really can't take the cold, by default the only living colonies taken
back to the warm climes would be European.  Seems to me this would be a
purge.

jjb