From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 13:43:20 -0400
Nick Shilliff wrote:

> Last fall the mites dropped into the tray in the bottom of the hives and
> were not dead,after inserting Apistan as the lable directed.We observed
> for 10 days and no change-NO dead mites.We then inserted coumophos strips
> and the mite fall was large and they were all dead.

Last year I also experienced apistan resistant mites, and used coumophos
strips rather than apistan in the fall (for 45 days).  This spring I had
about a 7% mortality, which I consider acceptable, and when checking the
surviving hives in April found that all had produced many drones and drone
brood.  During careful inspection of this drone brood between hive bodies in
about all 80 hives I did not see even one varroa mite.  (Late last summer
every drone pupa had at least one mite on it.)  Because the colonies all are
very strong I decided not to do my usual spring treatment for varroa (which
would have been apistan) but instead to begin supering.  I know that
coumophos is unpopular with many, but it cleaned out my varroa to a
surprising degree.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA