From:
Dan Buchsbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 15:29:20 -500
I hardly think it's a crime to keep african bees!  They are still
honeybees and may have better disease resistance than the european variety.
I live in Brazoria County, TX and we are quarrantined for AHB.  Mostly
you just can't export any out of the quarrantined area, but no one can
keep you from raising them.  My european bees are pretty testy when the
weather gets too hot so I have to work them differently during the
summer.  I suspect the african variety is like this all the time and with
more careful handling could actually be a better bee for raising.  At
least we might as well learn to live with them, 'cause they're here to stay!