From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:32:36 -0400
Jerry writes:
in acute or sudden events, the original queen may be suddenly lost
(e.g., chemicals used to drive out bees, agri- or industrial chemicals,
sudden expansion of space by adding honey supers).

Thanks for the info. I must say I have never heard that adding too many
supers could lead to supersedure! You also said not adding supers could do
this! Curious! More info!

Anyway, as I said, the main objection to supersedure is if you are trying to
maintain selected lines. If I am trying to study resistant stock and half the
queens are gone in two months, what am I studying? Their daughters, of
course, but that wasn't the plan. The daughters might have half as much of
the desired trait.

pb