From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 18:32:07 -0400
Jerry Wallace wrote:

>I don't entirely agree with comments I read that strong hives aren't  at
>risk.

In North America, beetles appear to be able to readily take
over even strong colonies with little resistance by the bees. A
few beetles can produce masses of larvae. In addition to
consuming the resources of the colony, according to a study
by Dr. A. E. Lundie (Union of South Africa, Science Bulletin
220, 1940, 30 pp.), the adult beetles defecate in the honey
causing it to ferment and run out of the combs. Full honey
supers stored in the honey house or on hives above bee
escapes, and weak hives with honey but few bees, seem most
vulnerable to attack. When small hive beetle infestations are
heavy, even in strong colonies, queens will stop laying eggs
and the bees may abscond.

MAAREC.cas.psu.edu