From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 15:59:16 EDT
   In an article in the New York Times about the West Nile virus and the
pesticides and their alternatives being used to knock down the mosquito
population, there is a reference to a pesticide that I can't find any
information about.
Here's the quote from the article, dated April 14th:
   "Last summer, Westchester was one of several suburban counties that chose
a different pesticide, sumithrin, sold under the trade name Anvil, for its
attack on mosquitoes."
   Using resource links at Dave Green's pollination page, I was unable to
locate any information about sumithrin, and only one reference, in a list, to
a produce called Anvil. However, the pesticide in Anvil in that reference was
said to be hexaconazole. I searched on the Extension Toxicology Network (UC
Davis), and the CDMS label/MSDS information search engine.
   Can anybody help me out figuring out what sumithrin or Anvil is, and
whether it is toxic to honeybees?