From:
Mason Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:52:19 +0000
Hi Bee Folks!

I have a honey house in my basement which is usually around 57 degrees
F, the perfect temp. for the crystallization of my honey.  I presently
have about 300lbs of honey which was starting to crystallize.  I bought
a utility shelf, 6x4x2 and duct tapped 2" styrofoam cut to size around
all sides, top and bottom.  I am able to get the top shelves up to
95-100 degrees F and the bottom to about 85-90 degrees.  I was able to
re-liquify the thickening honey in gallon glass jars by keeping them
close to the light bulbs.  I am using 2-60Watt bulbs.  My question is,
what will happen to the honey if I keep it at those temps over the
winter.  I know it will stay liquid, but is it so hot it will change the
taste or composition of the honey?  What is the ideal temp. to keep the
honey at over a long period of time?  I remember reading something about
not heating honey over 115-120 degrees as it may spoil or change the
honey in some way.  Am I in danger of losing my stock?

Thanks for your help.
--
Mason Harris, MA                             (\
SMCOE Educational Audiologist    -{ ||| 8-