From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:36:16 -0600
> I digress.  It is the list of ingredients that must tell the truth of what's
> in the product, listing first the most prominent ingredient, followed in
> succession down to the least prominent ingredient....
> Most products which prominently feature HONEY on
> the box usually have honey towards the tail end of the ingredients list
> after sugar and/or corn sweeteners.

Honey is often used as a flavouring ingredient and as such is featured
prominently in the name, but is near the end of the ingredients.  This is very
much like garlic or pepper.  A product named " Garlic Whatever" seldom will have
more than a little garlic.

One amazing example I have in my fridge is a bottle of "Garlic Caesar" salad
dressing described on the label as " A savoury blend of fresh garlic, cider
vinegar, pure extra virgin olive oil, Regganio, Parmesan, and Romano cheeses,
capers and anchovies".

The ingredients list, however reveals that the predominant oil (and main
constituent) is canola -- which is not even mentioned in the main panel.

This is legal, but dishonest.  Our product's good name is being used to boost
products that contain little of it.

allen