From:
Conrad Berube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 1997 09:48:12 -0700
Hi Frank,

>It took about 30 minutes for the bees to start exiting via the tubing.
>However once started they came out in a steady stream.  If this continues
>to work as well as it started, I will never again use screening.

I've used screen in the past to funnel bees and wasps out of nests or into
traps and would offer a caveat.  The idea of using screening is that the
screen funnel is permeable to nest odors at all points.  Thus the tip of the
funnel is no more attractive than any other point of the funnel (and
probably less so than the areas closer to the original nest opening).  Bees
find their way out but not back in.  With tubing it seems that you might
risk the possibility that bees would just start using the tubing as an exit
and ENTRANCE back into their old nest.  Might be advisable to rig up
something using both tubing and screen to prevent bees from finding their
way back into the tree/building from which you are trying to exclude them.

I've also considered using Great Stuff to assist in sealing large areas but
was afraid that the fumes of the curing foam would kill bees, did you notice
this happening at all, Frank?

        -              Conrad Berube
      "  `            ISLAND CROP MANAGEMENT
      "   `           613 Hecate St.
  _- -_`-_|'\  /`     Nanaimo, B.C.
 \_\ _ /\-._/\/       (250)754-2482; fax (250)656-8922
      /   | |         email: [log in to unmask]
     '`   ^ ^         website: http://pinc.com/~bwarner/