From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2014 12:13:29 -0500
> What I've noticed when I give trainings is that most beekeepers are distracted by all the bees on the combs.

Ditto, here. They are mesmerized by the bees and can't concentrate on the disease inspection. I inspected one experienced beekeeper's hives though, he had divided AFB colonies into nucs. I asked him if he "inspected" his colonies. He said, yes, she he was dividing them. Turns out, he had a day job and frequently did bee work after hours, in a rush. Probably even in the dark.

Bee inspectors are doing one thing: looking for disease, not the other things going on in the hive. Beekeepers are usually glancing at comb while doing a million other things, checking for strength, making splits, requeening, whatever.

Inspection should be done at a time when it can be the main thing you are doing. It can include queen evaluation, checking for food reserves, etc. of course. But it should be about mainly looking for disease before it gets advanced.

PLB