Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2015 09:33:22 -0400
> Bill, I hear (and experience) the same story all over the country.  But
> there is a huge difference between so-called "natural" beekeepers and
> *neglectful* beekeepers.  Natural beekeepers who practice some sort (or
> combinations of) mite management can do fine,

That is why the "natural" was in quotes. Usually natural means no-treatment
and comes from using small cell or "natural' foundation from strips.

Every time I meet someone who says they are a 'natural" or organic
beekeeper, do not treat and are doing fine I ask "How do you control Varroa?"

The successful ones usually tell me drone culling, which is a classic way
to keep Varroa in check, and I tell them that they are not practicing
"natural" beekeeping. They are treating.

Truth is no beekeeper is natural unless their colonies are all in hollow
trees (which may still be PETA's position).

Based on Peter's post, I would not want to have an apiary next to even a
responsible natural beekeeper as they control Varroa levels to what is
acceptable to them and allow a certain amount of loss. That loss means a
nice Varroa load right when you do not need one.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine