Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:15:06 -0400
 > In fact, I have been doing this all season. I use a standard empty wooden frame. I check them about every two weeks and cut the comb out if it's capped drones ...

Have you attempted to use an examination of the drone brood removed with measured varroa levels in the hives?

I have sampled the drone brood on occasion, and as has been stated at times find few if any drones but must sample more than one area, as I have seen none in one place and several in another on the same frame. And another thing if these  drones are allowed to emerge the chances of using this technique at a later date are basically voided as the colony is usually quite satisfied with the number of drones they now have raised. This may seem like a waste of resources on occasion, however the drone brood does not go to waste, I have a market for some with Asian farm hands and the rest goes for prime chicken feed in trade for plenty of eggs.